Pages

Monday, May 2, 2016

...Southwest Stuffed Avocados

Man, has it been a while since I posted on here. I guess wedding planning, a bachelorette party, and another dress fitting take up more time than I thought!
On the beach at my Bachelorette party!

Throughout this year I have made it my goal be proud of the way I look on my wedding day, but I never wanted to do it by depriving myself of delicious food and wine, or by feeling guilty about indulging during the celebrations! After all, this is the only time in life that I plan on being a fiance, and I want to enjoy it! 

During my last dress fitting, 2 very interesting things happened:
1) I weighed 2 pounds more than my previous fitting, but the seamstress told me I went down an inch in my waist. This was a great reminder that the scale isn't always an accurate reflection of your progress!
2) My dress fit perfectly! Which was great- and so exciting! I can't wait to wear it on the greatest day of my life. That's also horrifying, since they told me not to gain or lose any more weight or inches, or my dress wouldn't look as perfect as possible. While some people might be thrilled at the idea of not having to lose any more weight- it actually terrified me.  For me, losing weight hasn't been the hardest part- it's been maintaining it.
Picking up my dress!


So recently I have focused on eating well, toning up with barre and weights, and, of course, enjoying the last few weeks of being a fiance with much deserved glasses of wine.

Tonight's meal was no exception. In fact I think we have a new staple in the McCarpenter (soon to be McCormack) household. It's simple, filling, and delicious. This dish features one of my top three favorite foods: AVOCADOS. Avocados sometimes get a bad rap, because they are high in fat. But people don't realize that they are high in the GOOD fat, mono-saturated fat to be specific- which can help lower cholesterol. Avocados are also packed with almost 20 vitamins and minerals, including potassium (keeps blood pressure low), vitamin B (helps fight disease and infection, and lutein (good for your eye health.) They are also low in sugar and high in fiber, so keep you fuller longer! 

\


Ingredients:

  • 2 small avocados
  • 5.5 oz of chicken, cooked and shredded
  • 1/4 cup of your favorite pico or salsa
  • 1/4 cup diced green pepper
  • Sriracha
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheese, your choice!
  • salt,  to taste
  • pepper,  to taste

Preheat your oven to 350*. Halve both avocados and remove the pits.

Using a big spoon, carefully remove the avocado meat, leaving the skin in tact in the shape of small bowls.



Mash the avocados, then mix in the sriracha, and pico. 


Once the mix is complete, it will look a lot like delicious guacamole. TRY NOT TO EAT IT!

Add the shredded chicken and green peppers to the avocado mixture. Salt and pepper to taste.



Fill each of the "shells" with the delicious avocado mixture. You may have extra- we did and filled a small ramekin. Can't let it go to waste!


Top each of the avocados with shredded cheese, and pop in the oven. Use whatever cheese you have around the house- we used smokey gouda and it was VERY good-a (I had to). Next time, I was thinking pepper jack.


These will need about 15 minutes to cook. You will know they are ready when the cheese is all melty and bubbly!

Serve on their own, or top with a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt, if you'd like. Let me know how you like them!


Nutritional Information:
(does not include sour cream)
Serving: 1 avocado half
Yields: 4

Calories: 203
Fat: 14.8g
Carbs: 7.7g
Sugar: <1 g
Protein: 14.6g

Stay happy & healthy,
Molly


No comments:

Post a Comment